• How to Renew your LLC / PLLC (aka make annual report)

If you have an LLC or PLLC, you must ‘renew’ it each year to keep it going. Officially, it’s referred to as making your Annual Report. It’s quick and costs about $60. It’s due on the anniversary month of when you opened it.

Some reminders

This is different than your business license. Your LLC / PLLC is a legal entity that you created. It has its own limits, responsibilities and protections. It’s separate from you (like an 18 year old child). It can only practice business if you keep it alive and it is properly licensed. To keep it alive is a legal issue (vs. financial), that’s why we’re dealing with the Secretary of State.

Basic Info to Renew / Make Annual Report

TIME: 2 - 10 minutes
COST: $60
DUE: On the anniversary month when it was formed
Frustration Factor: 4 out of 10
WEBSITE: ccfs.sos.wa.gov/#/
GOVT: Secretary of State
HELP: 360.725.0377


Set up a profile if needed. Log in. Double check that your name and address is filled in for every role (governor, registered agent, executor, etc.). Get to the end, pay $60. Mark off your Important Dates List (Annual, Quarterly). Reward yourself!


LLCs / PLLCs were originally created for groups of people coming together to do business. Each owner is actually called a Member. The annual report is saying, Yes, it’s still going. Here’s who is doing which role. With bigger groups, this matters! For a single-member LLC / PLLC, it feels a little silly because generally we serve all the roles! By making this report, we confirming that all this info is the same.

Steps - Screen shots below

1 Go to SOS.wa.gov
2 Click on CORPORATIONS in the Top Nav to open the menu
4 Sign in ….or create a profile, then sign in when directed
5 Find ANNUAL REPORT on the Left Nav
6 Search for your Business using your UBI or Name
7 Select your name from the List
8 Confirm all your information, make changes or additions if needed
9 Review
10 Add to Cart and Pay
11 Optional - print or save the pdf for your records
12 Mark as done on your Important Dates List
13 Reward yourself!












Voila! All done for another year. Great job on getting another business chore finished. Having said that, I hope it was kind of fun and rewarding! Your work is still alive and kicking!

: ) Jenny Girl Friday

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

P.S. Was this helpful? I sure hope so! If YES, please consider leaving a Tip in the Tip Jar. (Unless you’ve already given an Annual Donation.)

Have any friends with an LLC / PLLC? Forward freely!

Why tips and donations? I’m currently doing all of this work during evenings/weekends. It’s slow going to build this Apothecary on the side. With more funds, I can ‘buy’ more time each month to grow the collection faster. I’m hoping to some day earn enough so it can be a one-day-a-week job.

If NO, then send me your questions, or let me know where things are confusing. I’d love to clear it up for you and other folks! jennygirlfriday@gmail.com

• Retail + Combo Businesses ~ How To Make Your Annual Report To The WA DOR (For Excise Taxes)

Hello + Note from January 2019: The state has a new portal, which looks a little different. I'm hoping to add screenshots of the new one sometime soon. Meanwhile, this post will still give you a good idea of the process. Thanks for your patience!

Does your work include: retail, retail-service, wholesale, manufacturing, or royalties. Or a combination?

Then this post is for you!

If your business is NON-retail SERVICE only, click here to see a different walkthrough.

A little warning.  Reporting to the state isn't that bad........though, this blog post will perhaps make it look a little confusing.  Additionally, the online tax forms will definitely make it look even more confusing!!!  That is because there are SO many variables, and one form has to serve all industries.

The best thing to do is collect your numbers, then get help.  You can call the state.  It's their job to walk you through this.  Or, get in touch for a one-time consult with me.  Or, get a good friend to read through the instructions with you together.  :)

Due: January 31st
Time Required: 20 - 60 minutes to file, perhaps up to 2 hours
Frustration Factor: 5 out of 10
Cost/B&O Taxes Due:  If you earned under about $45K (gross sales), then you will not pay any B&O taxes to the state.  If your gross sales were over $45K, then it could be a few hundred dollars up to a thousand or more.
Sales Tax Due:  Depends on your retail sales total(s) and locations
Type of Tax:  B&O (business and occupation), Sales Tax, Use Tax (not covered in this post)
With: WA State Department of Revenue (DOR), using DOR.WA.gov  
Options:  Paper on Online.  Recommended ~ use the ONLINE form! 

More information and screenshots below.  If you need help at any time, call the state at:  800.647.7706

Summary of the Task

1. Log in
2. Find the correct boxes for each business category: Retail, Service, Wholesale, Manufacturing, Royalties, etc.
3.  Fill in total amounts by category
4.  Enter all the cities you sold retail products or services
5.  Enter retail sales by time period, from 1/1/17 - 3/31/17, then from 4/1/17 - 12/31/17
6. Click next through several screens
7.  Confirm
8.  Go through payment screens to submit sales tax + any B&O tax owed

**In some cases, enter "Tax Paid at the Source" as a deduction.  (Explained on Prep Sheet, below.)

If you're ready, click here to get started at the DOR.WA.gov.  More info and screenshots below.

If you have any trouble, call the DOR at 1.800.647.7706.  It's their job to help you file your taxes! 

How to Prepare - If You are NEW to This  :)

Reporting to WA is very similar to reporting to Seattle, but just a little more complicated. I recommend preparing for both at once.  Everyone's situation is a little different, so it's hard to give estimates or exact instructions.

Here's what I recommend:

1.  Schedule some prep time on your calendar in the next week
2.  Schedule a 30 - 120 minute block for tax filing, during the weekday, with a plan to call the state DOR if needed (they will walk you through this)
3.  Print out the Prep sheet below
4.  During your prep time, fill out as many numbers as you can on the Prep Sheet
5.  On your scheduled day, call the state to help you.  Be prepared to wait...have something fun to do while on hold.

Prep Sheet

Click on the image below, to get to a PDF to download.

A Little Info

Washington state collects three kinds of tax.  The Department of Revenue handles this.  

B & O Tax - Business and Occupation.  Every business has to pay this tax, though small businesses get a credit, so you might not owe any!  Different industries are taxed on business activities.  The percentages vary.  

Use Tax - This might apply to you. (Though I don't cover it in the screenshots below.) It's like sales tax for things you buy in other states.  For example, if you buy a computer in Portland, you'd be required to pay Use Tax in WA state for it.

Sales Tax - This is a tax that businesses collect and submit, versus a tax one pays.  If you're a (NON-Retail) Service provider, you don't have to collect this tax!  Click here to read about Services vs. Retail Service.  The DOR collects for both the state and the city/cities (referred to as local tax).


If you do not have an account yet with the DOR (Department of Revenue), you'll need to set one up.  A blog post is coming soon to show this. Meanwhile, here's what I can tell you.  

You will need your~
UBI - Unified Business Identifier, the # that WA state assigned to your business
PAC Code - I don't know what this stands for.  You can find it on most letters from the DOR, or if they sent you a paper form for Excise Tax.  



By any chance, did the state assign you to make Quarterly reports?  Versus Annual reports?  This sometimes happens when self-employed folks register an LLC.  If you want to change from Quarterly to Annually, you must call the DOR (Department of Revenue) during the month of January.  And only in January!  The number is 1.800.647.7706.  If your annual Gross Sales are under a certain amount, they will make the change for you.

Screenshots ~ Making Your Report to the WA DOR

To get started, click here to go to the DOR.WA.gov.


Follow the circles.

Log In.


Click on File Return.  


Scroll down........look out for the categories that apply to you.  (And check out some of the others along the way!)

Enter the total Gross Sales in each box, next to the name of the category.


Hit Next.

Now you're on the State Sales & Use Tax 

Enter your Gross Sales in the Retail Sales box.  (This might be pre-filled out for you because of the previous screen.  This is collected for the state.  The screen shows the rate of 6.5%.

If you know that you owe Use Tax, put that amount as well.  (This is for items you bought out of state.  If you have questions, call the DOR.)


This next page is for the Local Sales tax.  This money is collected on behalf of the city/cities where you sold products and retail services. 

> You'll need to add each city.
> For some, you'll need to give subtotals of gross sales in two different time periods.  

(Because the tax went up midway through the year.)  It shows the different rates to the right.


If you know you'll owe Use Tax, add Seattle, then add your amounts.  (Sorry, I'm not going into detail here.  This doesn't apply to most people.)


Click NEXT through the following screens until you get to the confirmation page.

>> One exception, if you need to take TAX PAID at the SOURCE, it may be on one of these pages.  Sorry, I don't know where it is......


Finally, here we are.  It'll show your B&O tax, sales tax, local tax, use tax, etc. 

Also, any credits applied to you.  

Fill out your contact info to file.

If you owe any money, it'll direct you to a payment screen.


Payment screen.  The first one deducts directly from your bank account.


After you fill out your payment info, be sure you follow all the directions to Submit payment.  

Check for the buttons at the bottom of each screen. (Sorry, I forgot to grab those screenshots for you.)

Woohoo!  Confirmation screen.  If you paid any B&O tax, be sure to put a copy in your receipts file.

You can deduct these taxes when you do your Federal filing with the IRS.   (Sales and Use Tax is NOT deductible for IRS taxes.)


If you select "View Printable Return" this is what it looks like.


Well done!  This will be way easier next year, now that you've been through it.

Please take a little moment to reward yourself.  Perhaps some nice chocolate, a walk outside, a glass of wine, or order dinner in tonight.

Jenny Girl Friday

P.S.  Did this help?  I hope so!  Pretty please share with any friends, or post on Facebook.  I think self-employed folks are keeping the soul in Seattle.  I want to make the chores of business easier, so you can all keep being awesome and shining your light.  

P.S. 2   Are you signed up for Sidekick Services via email?  Get reminders and links to how-tos delivered right to your email inbox.  :)

• How to Fill Out + Send 1099-MISC forms


If you paid any Independent Contractors more than $600 in one year, for service work, you need to submit a 1099-MISC form (1099 for short).....both to the Recipient and to the IRS.  To read more, click here.  

Time Required: 5 - 10 minutes per form (+more time if you have to collect W-9s)
Cost: About $1.50 in postage to IRS + any postage costs to mail to recipients
Due: January 31st
Frustration:  3 out of 10
Tedium Factor:  10 out of 10


On a half sheet form, you fill in a few boxes.  Your name, address, phone number, and tax ID number.  Your recipients name, address, tax ID number.  The amount you paid them.

You send a copy to the recipient, to the IRS, and you keep one for yourself.

In addition, you must work with two more forms. A 1096 acts as a cover sheet when mailing 1099-MISCs to the IRS.  Use W-9s to collect information from recipients. More below....

Photos with notes below.  First some information.

You can choose to use paper forms or to file electronically.  

Paper forms are carbon and MUST be ordered from the IRS or another source.  They canNOT be printed. To ORDER forms, click here.  To see a walkthrough of ordering forms, click here.

I haven't worked with e-filing yet.  Some tax software systems provide this, such as TurboTax.  The IRS also gives this tip, "To locate an IRS business partner who may be able to offer low-cost or even free filing of certain forms, enter "e-file for business partners" in the search box on IRS.gov."

Some accountants will also do this for you.

What you need~

For each recipient:
• Full legal name (of the person)
• Legal name of the business
• Address
• Tax ID Number ~ Either their SSN (social security number) or EIN (employer ID number)
• Amount you paid them ~ called "Nonemployee compensation"

If filing with paper forms:
• 1096 Form
• Large Envelope
• Postage
• Black ball point pen

Use this prep sheet to keep things straight!  Click on it to get a PDF.  :)  This will also help when it's time to file your IRS taxes later this Spring.

Heads Up!  There are two more forms to know about!  1096 and W-9 

Like the Charlie's Angels, there are actually 3 forms that you'll be working with!  They always go together.

W-9 The IRS created a W-9 form to collect the required information from recipients, including their tax ID.  It's a one page form with lots of pages attached.  As you can imagine, tax ID numbers are sensitive information, and W-9 forms must be stored securely.  You can collect W-9s on paper, or electronically.  Click here to download from the IRS.gov site.

1096 This is like a cover letter.  When you submit certain types of forms to the IRS, they want a 1096 as well.  It's basically a summary of everything you're sending in.

Important Things to Know When Filling Out Paper Forms!

1.  Use a BLACK ball point pen, press hard!
2.  Use legible, block printing
3.  Do NOT add any symbols.  NO dollar signs, NO apostrophes, NO number signs.
For Susie's Flowers, you'd write:  Susies Flowers
For an apartment #302, write APT 302
4.  Do NOT cut the 1099 form top sheet (the one you send to the IRS)
5.  Write the dollars + cents for all amounts.  For example, 1235.00 is correct.  (1235 is NOT correct.)

> > If you happen to make any mistakes, check the VOID box at the top of the form, and start again.

Mailing Information

• Address for Washington Residents:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO 64999

• You must use a FLAT envelope, with no folds.

• It must be postmarked on or before January 31, 2018.

1099-MISCs Forms

Two separate forms are on each page.  This shows the top sheet which is sent to the IRS.  Do NOT cut this page.  The pages underneath are torn in half before giving to the recipients.


Notice the names.  It's important to write both the recipients full legal name AND the business's legal name.



Whenever a business is a Sole Proprietor or Single Member LLC, you may use either the SSN (social security number) OR an EIN (employer identification number).

This example shows the Payer having an EIN.
The recipient using their SSN.

On the bottom form, I made a mistake!  I used a # sign.  This is not allowed, so I stopped filling it out and marked the VOID box.


After they are filled out, tear the strip off and separate the forms.


Look for THREE to keep, and do the following:

1.  For the IRS - send in the mail, in a flat envelope
2.  For Recipient - send in the mail, may be folded
3.  For Payer - keep in your tax records


Here's a look at the 1096 Form.

Moving from left to right with notes:

1.  Be sure to check the box 1099-MISC.
2.  Use your EIN ....OR.....your SSN.  (Not both)
3.  Number of forms.  Put the number of filled out 1099-MISCs.  There are two per page.  If you filled out for 3 recipients, you'd write "3".
4.  "Total amount reported with this Form"  Add up the total of all dollar amounts on all forms.  If I was reporting $2100 for a coach and $1400 for a designer, I would record $3500 in this box.


Finishing up!

To the IRS - one 1096 form plus the top copies of all 1099-MISCs
To the recipients - their 1099-MISC copy
For your records - full page copies


Well done!  Bravo!  Even though the contents of this are straightforward, it can feel so taxing because it takes a lot of care and attention, yet it is boring.  In addition, just the thought of the IRS can be triggering or get the adrenaline going.  ♥ If you can, find a time to relax a bit.  Perhaps a bath, a trip to Ladywell's, a long walk, even a short walk around the block.

Also, remember to check off of your Cheat Sheet / Sticker Chart!


: )  Jenny Girl Friday

P.S.  Sign up for Sidekick Services to get these delivered right to your inbox!  (Posting on social media is random....)  

• Renew Your Seattle (City) Business License - December 31st

Your first TAX season hoop is here!  Renew your Seattle business license by December 31st.  Cost is $55 if you earn under $20K, or $110 if over $20K (plus fees if you renew online).  

Read More